16 Feb BTSF – OIE workshop Abu Dhabi
Date: 8 -10 March 2016
Location: Abu Dhabi – United Arab Emirates
The workshop is part of a wider programme of activities that will involve all three International Standard Setting Bodies operating within the WTO SPS agreement, namely CODEX, OIE and IPPC. These training sessions are intended to strengthen the capacity of non EU countries to participate actively in the work of each body and will be carried out in different regions of the world.
Tutors will include high level officials coming from national animal health Competent Authorities, with present and past experience on OIE work, and staff members of OIE. Tutors will be supported by the officials from the Health and Food Safety Directorate General of the European Commission.
Main topics to be addressed during the workshop are:
– Global dimension of animal health
– History and role of OIE
– Elaboration of standards
– Risk analysis / OIE technical and decision making process
– Description and activities of OIE Regional Commissions
– Interactive exercise on preparation of national and/or regional positions
– Role of OIE Regional Commissions
– Mock OIE Session: preparation of a representatives’ delegation of OIE Commissions and simulation exercise (based on a case occurred and real scenario)
– De-briefing and conclusions
Participants will be selected by the OIE delegates of countries members of the OIE Regional Commission for the Middle East.
Participants should have the following requirements:
– At least 5 years’ experience in animal health
– Professional background in the national central competent authority for animal health
– Involved in international trade activities
– Experience in OIE work
– Experience in enforcement of food safety/animal health standards at field level
– Fluent in English and/or Arabic
The following qualifications will represent an additional asset:
– Decision making level
– Active player in definition of regional positions
– Previous experience in annual meetings, regional meetings, technical commissions or ad hoc groups of OIE
Participants will be requested to commit themselves to disseminate the knowledge received via different dissemination methods, i.e. informing colleagues about the information received at the training, distributing (photocopying or sending via electronic way) the training materials among their colleagues, preparing informative articles in the professional national or, if possible, in international journals, preparing presentations based on the training materials for the staff of national Competent Authorities or other disseminating methods which could be appropriate to share the information received via the BTSF training. During the course participants will be provided with a training package to be used as supporting dissemination material.
Accommodation, venue facilities and travel arrangements.
The workshop will be held in the Hotel Grand Millenium Abu Dhabi http://www.millenniumhotels.ae/grandmillenniumalwahda/
The project will cover the entire cost of the workshop for participants, which includes:
– full board accommodation, including breakfast, lunch, dinner and coffee breaks
– travel expenses including flight to/from Abu Dhabi (economy) and transfer to/from the airport to place of training
Arrival is foreseen on the March 7 with departure on March 10 or 11 according to flight schedules.
The workshop will be held in English with simultaneous translation in Arabic
Access to internet is provided in the conference rooms and throughout the hotel. A photocopy machine, telephone and fax facilities are also at the disposal of participants.